Thursday, December 19, 2013

What Spanish Class is Like

The first few things that pop into my head (cabeza) when I think about Spanish class are annoying, baffling, useful and that there is no end. Also, I think about exploding cabezas. My classes are a bit annoying because when you want to tell your teacher something exciting and your teacher does not speak English, you have to say it in Spanish, right? So when you are just learning Spanish and don't know very much, you can't tell it to your teacher without looking it up in a huge Spanish-English dictionary (AAAAAAAA). Spanish class is baffling because you are just learning Spanish, your teacher doesn't know English and she is trying to teach you something that you don't understand (at least not very well). Class is useful because YOU ARE LEARNING ANOTHER LANGUAGE! It allows you to move to Costa Rica, become a rainforest biologist and be able to actually talk to people. There actually IS an end although it feels like there isn't. I think about exploding cabezas because mine exploded last night. Class is very complicated. Bingo, Memory, Go Fish, even Jenga -- My teacher and I have played all of them together. (the Jenga tower fell on me) In some ways the adapted Spanish versions are harder. If you have played Bingo in Spanish or Memory using one picture and one word (in Spanish of course) as a pair instead of two pictures then you know what I mean. Of all the games that wwe play, Jenga is the hardest. Each block has one Spanish verb on it and when you pull it out of the tower you have to say a sentence with that verb. And I am still learning verbs! Despite all the games we play, I still don't recommend this school for having fun. I recommend it for learning.

1 comment:

  1. Job Posting: Rain Forest Biologist
    Location: Costa Rica
    Description: Ideal candidate must be able to climb strangler fig trees and produce video of wandering spiders with kung-fu legs. Experience in studying the god-like quetzal a plus. Candidate must be a friend of the forest, moths and sloths and able to eat large numbers of tortillas in a single meal. Advanced English writing skills and Spanish language fluency required.

    ReplyDelete